Spinal Cord Injuries
Damage to the spinal cord is like damage to the brain, in that both types of neural tissue cannot heal like other parts of the body. And like brain damage, spinal damage means loss of the abilities controlled by the damaged part of the spine, unless the victim can learn a new way to perform those abilities. A damaged spinal cord often means paralysis; where the injury is determines how serious the paralysis is. It can also mean loss of automatic functions of the body in the area, including bowel and bladder function or even breathing.
Loss of blood to the spine or certain diseases may cause spinal cord damage, but the most common cause of spinal cord damage is trauma -- a blow to the back. The most common causes of traumatic spinal injuries are:
- Automobile and motorcycle accidents
- Slips and falls
- Accidents during sports, such as football or diving
- Violent crimes
A spinal injury is a catastrophic injury that radically changes the life of the victim and those who love him or her. Regardless of how bad the injury was, a victim of spinal injury will need complex lifelong medical checkups. Because spinal cord injury victims are likely to have secondary problems like bladder infections or bedsores, they will also need more involved care than an uninjured person. More seriously injured victims may need long-term help with the activities of daily life. And those who are too injured to work may need financial support for the rest of their lives.
In addition to being physically painful, robbing victims of physical activities they enjoyed and leaving them disabled, this can also be very expensive. If you or someone you love sustained a spinal cord injury due to someone else's carelessness, you can and should hold that person legally and financially responsible for the results.
Cohn & Smith represents spinal cord injury victims throughout the State of Florida. Our knowledgeable attorneys have more than three decades of experience representing clients who have suffered these and other catastrophic injuries. We are dedicated to getting you the best possible compensation for your injuries, including compensation for any loss of ability to work as well as lifelong medical care. We have substantial experience with complex injuries and the intensive medical treatments they often require. And we offer free consultations, so you risk nothing by speaking to us about your case and your rights.
If you have sustained a serious spinal cord injury in Florida, contact Cohn & Smith online or call us at 954-431-8100 or 305-624-9186 to set up a free consultation.
- Contaminated Medication Believed to Be Cause of National Fungal Meningitis Outbreak, Including Over Twenty Florida Cases Federal and state officials believe that a contaminated medication from a Massachusetts pharmacy is responsible for an outbreak of fungal meningitis ....
- Pediatricians Warn of Risk of Serious Injury to Children from Recreational Trampoline Use Trampolines are a common feature in the backyards of homes with children across the country. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), ....
- Miami Court Dismisses Consumer Claims Against Football Helmet Manufacturers A federal judge in Miami has dismissed multiple claims without prejudice in a putative class action lawsuit against two football helmet manufacturers. ....